As a marriage therapist and counselor for nearly 20 years, I’ve talked with dozens of divorced couples who said, “If only I had known …. .”
The “If onlys” of couples dealing with divorce often include:
- If only I had not used humor at the expense of my partner.
- If only I had not interrupted or tried to dominate my partner.
- If only we had not developed our own parallel lives.
In addition to the “If onlys” described above, Gottman researchers learned that happy couples shared these commonalities:
- Partners expressed interest in each other’s world.
- Partners were gentle during moments of conflict.
For More Information, visit this link: http://principleskills.com/blog/what-unhappy-and-happy-couples-teach-us